So, a few days ago my (professional) editor got back to me.
I sat on the email for about an hour before I had the courage to even open it up. You know that feeling when you get a reply from someone you have a crush on? When your insides are flipping over because you don’t know if they are going to agree with everything that you wrote, or if they’re going to laugh at you? Or, worse, go full bad-ending-Hanako on you?
Yeah, that’s the feel when you get the response back from an editor, only there is an even lower chance of getting laid.
I’ve been piecemeal-reading the notes over the past week, all 14 pages in all, and overall the response wasn’t too bad.
First thing that struck me was that they thought that it was a good story. That was a relief. Straight after that, I realised that many of the points that came up from many of the other proof readers, like character and world-building (which I thought I had addressed before sending the copy to the editor) came back up. So I guess my first point is to listen to the people that you trust. I know that some of the readers prefer not to be mentioned, but on the top level the feedback from the editor was the same as the feedback from Aura.
However, the great part about an editor is that they then say “…here are some ways to fix it…”
Which is what I was missing. Instead of saying “this is missing” or “put this bit in,” most of the feedback I received was in the form of questions.
“What are the motivations here?”
“Why did she react like this?”
“Do you really need to do that?”
…and a number of other such examples. I won’t go into details but I certainly have to say that the process has helped. In previous editing sessions at 4LS and also in the last 6 months, I’ve always felt like I’ve gone as far as I care to go. I can also admit that I feared getting the response back from the editor, as it would mean that I would need to spend more time on the script. But, now that I have the feedback, I am already charged with ideas that I will start putting into the story.
Hopefully by the end of May I’ll have done all of those changes, and my errant artist will have completed the cover.
I’d like to send out a “thank you” to the team at For Pity Sake publishing for their services. I won’t say that it was cheap, but getting the overview edit service was worth it, and I hope that you guys all think so when you read the final result.
I’m going to set a “script completion” date of the 1st of June. This will be tough as May is a really busy month for me, but if I do this it will twist me into action. After that, it will be a matter of formatting for Amazon, waiting for the cover, and then finally hitting the “go” button after about 9 months of saying “it’s finished!”